sugar, spice and all things mice

About my mice and rat escapades and how my boys and girls are doing. Oh, and sometimes me too.

Monday, November 27, 2006

Revision begins again

Revision is one of those things that appears as a set annual event, if not bi-annual in rubbish years. It appears at various points in the year, annoyingly spanning the Christmas period by some time either side, and takes over your life. You attempt to eat, sleep and read whatever the subject is, and when you do allow yourself time away you spend all that time worrying you should be working, or fearing that you have forgotton the things already covered. And the worst thing.....there is no end before the exam itself. Ugh.

The more I read about midwifery at the moment the more I don't know. It's complex as for a normal pregnancy, labour and postpartum period the level of knowledge is far more confined. However clearly you are constantly screening in your head to identify those who may fall outside 'normal'. Just the range of infections that someone might get in pregnancy make the mind boggle. Chickenpox - what do you do about it, what risks are there, how do you avoid it, how do you identify it? And how much do women need to know when they might never encounter it? It seems like an endless string of questions, and I think that is because it is. Given you're dealing with such an important unique experience in someones life (and the creation of another someone) I think it's legitimate to feel this stressed. Because for the first time in my life, since starting this course, my revision doesn't only matter for me and my results, my revision matters for all the women I come into contact with through midwifery.

Pants!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Hugs ((e))
Not alot else I can offer,- but you'll undoubtedly be fine, truly you will...and there will be opportunities, irl outside the exam room, to check things if you're uncertain, so the whole future of the human race won't rest absolutely on your shoulders.
I've got 2 out of 3 offspring facing exams of real importance in January, so we'll need a long walk and a large quantity of alcohol at some point post Christmas.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home