sugar, spice and all things mice

About my mice and rat escapades and how my boys and girls are doing. Oh, and sometimes me too.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

More prayer needed please

Oh dear....why are animals so concerning.

I've just finished another three 12 hour nights together, and dragged myself back out of bed as I'm on a day shift tomorrow. Got up, made a cup of coffee then cleared out rats and mice. One of rats has some fur missing on her head, but there is no broken skin or anything. But one of the mice has got a vey poorly bit where the leg joins his body. It's not an open wound or anything, and he's walking around and let me have a really close look so he's not rolling round the cage in agony, but my worry is how it happened. The squabbling had calmed down a lot, but because I have been away for 3 nights at work I haven't been able to see if it was due to a fight. I could seperate them, but once you do that you can't put them back together normally, and they all sleep snuggled up and I don't want him to be lonely. Ahhhhh, I guess I'm just going to have to watch for what happens.

Work has been good, exhausting though. There haven't been enough midwives on (as always), so we've been all working constantly, having at least two people each at once, no breaks etc. I was terrified as it meant me basically functioning as a qualified midwife, but it was all good experience. I'm up to 31 babies I've delivered normally now! Yey.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Oh...poor you...poor them...hugs all round (and yes, prayers too. Try not to worry (says the world's most expert worrier)
31 babies is amazing..Is there a number you have to do before you qualify? I will never ever forget Helen, the student midwife who delivered L,- she was so lovely and seemed to be as overjoyed by the whole thing as I was. No idea who delivered G,- great rush to avoid arrival in hospital loo! L (age 6) delivered J herself, with lovely community midwife telling her what to do...but that was the most fab home birth all round.

10:16 AM  
Blogger sugar, spice and all things mice said...

Yeah you have to have 40 normal deliveries which in a unit like ours which has everything abnormal from the county and beyond sent to us can be quite a challenge!

(32 now - and hopefully more this weekend as I am working 12 hours saturday and sunday).

4:13 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

Just wondering how your week has been, and whether your tally rose appreciably...and, of course, how the ailing rodents fare.
I've got 5 DAYS OFF,- amazing and rather daunting, as everyone else has exams, work, life etc. But I plan on serious sleep, if nothing else :-)

9:53 PM  
Blogger hencity said...

Are you still there? We've been praying for Lottie the dog for a few weeks and she's better! She had a virus that leads to kidney failure. Maybe we should change from St Katharine to St Bernard!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home